As you can tell by the title of this recipe, these treats are an irresitable hybrid of a dense chocolatey brownie, and a chunky, chewy cookie. These are ABSOLULTEY one of my favourite bakes.
I make them all the time and have never had a bad review!
To make them even more inviting I add little googley eyes to my cookies, which I think make them adooooorable but also perfect for occasions like halloween.
I have adapted this recipe from Ali on her blog Gimme some Oven, so definitely check out her amazing recipes!
INGREDIENTS – makes 10 cookies
- 130g plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 30g cocoa powder
- 112g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 130 light brown soft sugar
- 2 large eggs, free range
- 200g good quality dark chocolate, I use Green & Black’s
- Flakey sea salt to sprinkle on top
- A packet of edible googley eyes – I get mine from Lakeland or Hobbycraft here in the UK.
Before we get into a method, just a note to say once you have mixed the batter it’s important to get the cookies into the oven as quickly as possible to make sure they crinkle nicely, so it’s important to move quickly with this recipe! ❤
- Start by heating your oven to 180 degrees C, and lining 2 baking trays with baking parchment or a non stick mat.
- Whisk together your flour, cocoa powder and pinch of salt in a small bowl to combine and remove any lumps. Set aside.
- Place your butter in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave, or in a saucepan over the hob and heat through gently until the butter has melted.
- Add your dark chocolate into the melted butter and stir until the chocolate has also melted.
- Place your eggs and sugars into a large bowl, and whisk until it’s fluffy and tripled in size, this will take a good few minutes with an electric whisk.
- Once whisked, add the buttery chocolate mix in with the eggs and fold gently until just combined.
- Finally, moving quickly but carefully, add the flour/cocoa mix into the bowl, and fold with a large metal spoon until JUST incorporated.
- Swiftly spoon the mixture onto your baking trays, with each cookie receiving 2-3tbsp of batter. LEAVE PLENTY OF ROOM BETWEEN COOKIES, as they do expand considerably!
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if you wish and GET THOSE COOKIES IN THE OVEN!!
- Bake for 10 minutes, leave to cool on the baking trays for a few minutes and then transfer to a wired cooling rack.
- Finally place your googley eyes onto the cookies using a small amount of melted chocolate or icing.
If you have any comments or questions please leave them below 🙂 Lots of love and happy baking, Sofia xxx