My Oreo cupcakes consist of a chocolate sponge (with a mini oreo baked inside) topped with a vanilla buttercream, with crushed up oreo pieces swirled throughout!.. Oh, and finished with a whole mini Oreo on top!
I use my go-to chocolate cupcake sponge recipe for these cupcakes, courtesy of the add a pinch blog, you can find the standard cupcake recipe here too! Super moist and fudgey, this sponge recipe I am sure will never be replaced! And did I say you only need one bowl and a wooden spoon to make these cupcakes? MAGIC.
This recipe makes 12 beautiful cupcakes! Enjoy!
Ingredients: – I haven’t yet converted the recipe for the sponge into grams, as soon as I do I will update this post 🙂
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. espresso powder
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 175g softened butter
- 350g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1 packet of Oreos
- Pre heat your oven to 160ºC and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake liners
- Sift your flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder into a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add your milk, vegetable oil and egg into your bowl and whisk again until uniform.
- Slowly pour the boiling water into your mixing bowl whilst whisking, you should now have a runny batter – which I believe makes these cupcakes so moist and light, yum!!
- Pour the batter evenly into your cupcake cases, roughly 2/3 to 3/4 full. Pop in the oven for 10-15 mins, until the cupcakes are springy to the touch!
- Take out of the oven and leave on a cooling rack.
- To make the buttercream, place your softened butter in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the icing sugar in 3 stages, beating well in between. Your buttercream will now be extremely stiff – add in 2 tbsp of milk and beat to obtain a silky buttercream! If your buttercream is still feeling a bit stiff, add in another tablespoon! Add your vanilla paste (or extract) and beat again!
- Crush your oreos (as many or as few as you like) until fine – I like to crush mine so I have some oreo dust, as well as some slightly bigger chunks!
- Fold your crushed oreos into your buttercream, and the spoon or pipe on top of your cooled cupcakes (if you can resist eating it all), place an individual mini oreo or half a normal oreo ontop of your cakes, and ta da!!
Love, Sofia ❤ 🙂