I am not a huge cheesecake fan. There’s something quite monotonous about eating cheesecake as I find they are fairly plain and boring in flavour and texture (although I’m sure my opinion is obscure having only eaten cheesecakes from supermarkets!
However, these cheesecake cupcakes work beautifulllllly! The cupcake consists of a crunchy, buttery biscuit base, covered in a soft vanilla sponge with tart juicy blueberries studded throughout, and finally topped with a creamy cheese frosting and blueberry swirl ❤
The recipe is extremely easy, and I take my vanilla sponge recipe from the amazing Hummingbird bakery book (BECAUSE ITS THE BEST!). I got my inspiration for these cupcakes from Cupcake Jemma, of Crumbs and Doilies – one of my Instagram hero’s! I hope you enjoy baking and eating these cupcakes!
Ingredients: – makes approx. 6-8 large cupcakes
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 40g butter, melted
- 120ml whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 5 Hobnobs or digestive biscuits + 2tsp. melted butter
- 1 punnet of blueberries
- 50g softened butter
- 150g cream cheese
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by preheating your oven to 170 degrees C, and line a muffin tin with 6-8 muffin cases.
- Crush your Hobnobs into crumbs, and mix together with the melted butter. Evenly distribute the crumbs between each cupcake case, and press with a teaspoon to make a cheesecake crust in the base of your cases.
- Place 3-4 blueberries in each cupcake case on top of the crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together your flour, caster sugar, salt, baking powder and melted butter, until you achieve a sandy consistency.
- In a sport bowl, whisk together your egg, vanilla and milk. Add the milk mixture slowly and whisk until smooth and just incorporated.
- Pour the cake mixture on top of the biscuit-blueberry base until two-thirds to three-quarters full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins, or until golden and fully cooked through 🙂
- Leave your cakes to cool on a rack and make your buttercream – place the softened butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl and mix using an electric whisk (or a spatula and slightly more effort! 😦 )
- Sift the icing sugar into the butter mix and whisk again. Finally add your vanilla paste and stir once more.
- Pipe the buttercream on top of the cupcakes in any way you fancy – I did mine nice and plain and swirled some blueberry juice (from microwaving a few whole blueberries) ontop!
- Finish by scattering some hobnob crumbs on top of the cakes 🙂
Eat, wooo! ❤
Lot’s of love, Sofia ❤ ❤ ❤ xxxxxxxx
These look beautiful! I think you should try making your own cheesecakes, because they are anything but bland!