I didn’t really know what to call this bake… I would describe the bars as an apple and raspberry flapjack-shortbread-crumble hybrid! The bars consist of a shortbread(ish) biscuit base, a layer of raspberry jam, soft apples stewed in butter and a streusel crumb topping!
I chose a raspberry and apple filling for two reasons – the flavours work so well together as the sweet raspberries counter the sharp apple, and because apples are currently in season and our orchard is in full swing (+ I’m bored of apple pie)! It’s best to use a tart apple for the filling, as there is a lot of sweetness in this bake, from the biscuit base and the raspberry jam.
These bars are a perfect on the go snack and I have yet to find someone who doesn’t like them! Enjoy ❤
This is a Sofia bakes original recipe! 🙂
- 240g plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 85g butter
- 1 egg, free range
- 150g light brown sugar
- 3 large apples
- 3 tbsp. raspberry jam
- 40g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. plain flour
- 45g plain flour
- pinch of baking soda
- 40g oats
- 55g light brown sugar
- 55g butter, softened
- Start by making your filling. Peel and core your apples and chop into thin slices. Melt your butter in a pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the prepared apples and leave until soft – roughly 6-8mins.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and plain flour, and leave to cook on the hob for a few more minutes, until the filling starts to bubble an all the flour has been incorporated.
- Take off the hob and leave to cool!
- Line a brownie tin, roughly 13x9inch or 9×9 inch with foil, and grease with butter. Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Next make your crust – cream together your butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg until incorporated, and then add the flour and mix well.
- Once you have your dough, press it into your lined tin with your knuckles, until you form an even layer.
- Spread your raspberry evenly jam over your crust. Next place your apple filling on top, and spread evenly.
- Finally, make your crumb topping – place the flour, baking soda, oats and sugar in a mixing bowl. Whisk and combine the ingredients until the mic is uniform. Make sure you break up any large lumps of brown sugar.
- Add your butter to the bowl and mix through with your fingertips to form a crumb.
- Spread the crumb evenly on the top of the apple filling, and place you tin in the oven.
- Leave to bake for 30-35 mins, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely before removing the bars from the tin.
- Slice and serve 🙂