Marshmallow + popcorn cookies – there is nothing I don’t like about that sentence ❤ These cookies are a little different. They’re more special than the plan old chocolate chip cookie, and have something rather exciting about them…
Once baked, the marshmallow becomes oozy and soft, whilst the popcorn remains crunchy and sweet. The muscovado sugar in the cookie dough is essential in making the golden chewiness that gives the cookies a caramel flavour, and is responsible for making them so irritable and more-ish.
I used a mixed bag of sweet and salty popcorn, to give a salted-caramel feel to the cookies, which worked nicely 🙂
This recipe made 2 trays worth of cookies. I hope you enjoy baking these little delights, and remember to comment below with any queries ❤ Sofia xoxoxoxo
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup Muscovado sugar (or a soft brown sugar equivalent)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bag of popcorn – I used a mix of sweet and salty
- 4-5 giant marshmallows (cut into bite sized pieces) or a bag of mini marshmallows
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 180 degrees C. Line 2 baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together your softened butter and the sugars until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the bowl and stir together until a dough is formed – you may need to use your hands at this part.
- Add in 2/3 of your mini marshmallows, or marshmallow pieces. Add 2/3 of the popcorn also.
- Roll into golf ball sized balls, and place spread apart on the two trays. Slightly flatten the cookie dough balls, and pop into the oven.
- Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden brown. HOWEVER, at roughly 3/4 of the baking process (lets say around 8 mins in), carefully place the remaining marshmallows and popcorn pieces ontop of the cookies as they’re baking – it may be a good idea to remove the trays from the oven to do this.
- This makes sure your cookies look as beautiful as they taste, because the marshmallow within the cookie has a tendency to dissolve and form a caramel.
- Leave to cool (or don’t) and enjoy 🙂 xxxx