These cupcakes are ma jam. Vanilla sponge surrounds an ooozing center of raspberry jam. Topped with a silky vanilla buttercream of the GODS, and finished with a mini Jammie Dodger.
There is nothing more disappointing than an underwhelming cupcake. So often cupcakes are heaped with buttercream, and the sponge itself is neglected and tasteless – something I feel strangely emphatic about. IT’S TIME TO GIVE SPONGE JUSTICE. This is why I use my faaaaavourite vanilla sponge recipe from the Hummingbird bakery as my base for most of my recipes. The recipe itself produces a fairly dense sponge, more so than one may term ‘fluffy’. AND I ADORE IT.
This recipe is super easy and straight forward, but gives a hella good cupcake.
Please do comment below any questions or suggestions you have 🙂
Ingredients: (makes 18 big)
- 240g plain flour
- 280g caster sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 240ml whole milk
- 2 eggs, free range
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 375g icing sugar, sifted
- 120g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 35ml whole milk
- 1tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 jar of raspberry/ strawberry jam – I like the seeds 🙂
- Mini jammie dodgers
- Start by preheating your oven to 170°C, and line your muffin tins with cases.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter into a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk/ freestanding mixer on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined
- Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
- Next, whisk the egg, vanilla extract and the remaining milk together in a separate bowl.
- Then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated.
- Pour your delicious mix into the paper cases until 3/4 full, and pop into the oven to bake for 20–25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
- Leave to cool, and start preparing your buttercream…
- Place your room temperature butter into a large bowl.
- Sift in half of the icing sugar, and beat together with a wooden spoon or electric whisk until smooth and consistent.
- Sift in the remaining icing sugar, whole milk and vanilla extract, and beat again. You should now have the most irresistible, silkiest and smoothest vanilla buttercream.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with your favourite nozzle, and place to one side.
- With a teaspoon, scoop out a small heap of the middle of your cupcake – roughly an inch deep and wide.
- Dollop in a little spoonful of jam, up to the surface of the cake, for a little sweet surprise.
- Finish your cupcakes by swirling your buttercream onto the sponge, and proudly positioning a jammie dodger upon his throne of cake.