Behold, the goOoOoOoooiest of chocolate cakes. There is little more satisfying than slicing a through the crunchy cocoa top of this cake, into the pool of warm, fudgey, chocolate heaven, in order to give a wedge of pure love to a friend or family member *drools*.
In this recipe I combine my flourless chocolate base, with little nuggets of fruit cherry in the form of Urban Fruit’s dried Cheeky Cherry. They offset the sweet dark intense chocolate, so you can basically eat more?!?!? YES PLEASE. I topped my cake with a quinelle of Mascarpone for a creamy indulgence, and a finally douse of melted milk chocolate.
This recipe is SUPERB for any occasion, birthdays, afternoon tea, etc etc… And being gluten-free, any intolerant or coeliac friend can also join the choccie train – destination HEAVEN.
Ps. this recipe is super duper easy and requires very little effort 🙂 Please do comment with any questions or queries, HAPPY BAKING. Sofia ❤ xxxxxx
You’ll need – one 23cm springform cake tin
- 250g butter, salted all the way!!
- 200g dark chocolate, I like to use Green & Blacks
- 100g milk chocolate, I like to use Green & Blacks
- 5 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 250g caster sugar
- 125g ground almonds
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 1 Urban Fruit Cheeky Cherry pouch – 100g
- 1 tub of mascarpone cheese (+ 1tbsp optional icing sugar)
- Pre heat your oven to 180°C or 160°C fan.
- First, melt your butter in a saucepan over low heat. Heat until melted and turning golden brown. Add the chocolate and stir until it melts and is fully incorporated.
- Remove your pan from the heat and leave to one side.
- Separate your eggs into yolks and whites. Place the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Next, beat your sugar and ground almonds into the chocolate mixture.
- At this stage it may be easiest to put the chocolate mix into a large mixing bowl, scrap all the little bits out of the saucepan with a spatula so no chocolate is lost 🙂
- In another large bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk/ free standing whisk until you achieve soft peaks to soft peaks – this is when the egg white just about holds it’s shape, but still ‘droops’.
- Fold in your nicely whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture, trying to retain as much air as possible.
- Finally fold in your cherry pieces.
- Pop into your oven, and bake for 35-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Dollop some mascarpone onto your beeeeeeeautiful chocolate cake and finish with a drizzle of melted chocolate if you fancy.
- EAT EAT EAT ❤