These blondies are joyous. The sight of happy hippos swimming in a swamp of fudgey caramel blondie goo, studded with chocolate is quite the spectacle. And something so wonderful I fear only David Attenborough could eloquently illustrate.
I like gooey blondies, that have a slight ooze of caramel. Which was one of the reasons why I decided to bake my blondies on a base of soft shortbread, as with a millionaires shortbread. Not only does the biscuit base provide structure and an all important firmer bite in texture, it also means you can eat almost half the tin before feeling overwhelmingly sickly (yay).
Happy Hippo’s are the bomb. The hazelnut kinder filling is so deliciously rich and velvety, adding a creamy nuttiness to these blondies. I also threw in a few of the original kinder chocolate bars, both for god measure and because I got carried away at the corner shop.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Please comment below if you have any questions 🙂 xxx
- 225g plain flour
- 175g butter, cold from the fridge
- 75g caster sugar
… blondie goodness:
- 225g white chocolate
- 200g butter
- 130g plain flour
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 250g soft brown sugar (I used some dark in mine too because I ran out)
- 3 (or more) happy hippos
- 3 (or more) kinder chocolate bars
- Preheat your oven to 160°C, and grease + line your brownie tin with baking parchment, approx. 9 inch square.
- Start by making your shortbread base. Place your flour and sugar into a bowl and mix together.
- Chop your cold butter into small chunks and place in the bowl with the flour mix. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mix until a dough is formed.
- Gently knead the dough together until it forms a mass.
- Take the dough and press it into the base of your lined baking tin. Once an even layer is formed, prick holes all over with the end of a fork.
- Place into the oven for approx. 15-20 minutes, until the edges of the base start to turn golden. Leave to cool.
- Next, melt together your butter and white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk together to incorporate into one irresistible mix. Set to one side.
- Place your eggs, egg yolk, soft brown sugar and vanilla into a large bowl, and whisk for 2-3 minutes until fully combined. Pour your buttery chocolate into the same bowl, and whisk once again until homogenous.
- Finally sift your flour into the mix and fold until incorporated.
- Poor the blondie mix over your cooled biscuit base.
- Gently position your hippos on top of your blondie mix, and scatter your chunks of chocolate on too.
- Place into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, until the blondie mix is a dark gold and has a slight wobble in the centre of the tin.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting. EAT.
Lots of Love, Sofia xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo